Pinewood Derby Construction
Build your Pinewood Derby car at The Sawdust Shop!
Bring the whole den down and use our tools to construct your Pinewood Derby car.
The boys will get to use the following tools while constructing their car.
- Drill press
All tool use is supervised by one of our trained instructors and we teach the boys
how to safely operate each tool.
We have a scale available to weigh the car
and sell weights, decals, axle tuning kits, and more to help make the fastest car
in the Pack!
New 2012/13 Policies
Due to the volume of Scouts that take advantage of this program we have found it necessary to institute some new polices for the 2012/13 season. Please read all of the new rules and restrictions below and make sure all participants in your Den/Pack are aware of these rules.
- Cost is $10/car.
- The fee entitles you to 1 hour of shop time. At the end of the hour you must leave to make room for additional Scouts. If you require additional time you may purchase it at normal shop rates.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled time. We will start promptly at the scheduled time. Late comers will be turned away and must reschedule.
- Come to the session with a design already in mind. This will help in completing your car in the hour period.
- We can only accommodate building a maximum of 10 cars during the one hour reservation period. If siblings or parents wish to build cars please include them in your reservation count. For example if both Scouts and parents each want to build their own car you can only have 5 Scouts in the session (5 Scout cars + 5 Parent cars = 10 cars)
- Reservations are required. People wishing to build their cars without reservations will be charged standard supervised shop rates ($60/hr).
- You will be charged for the number of Scouts listed in the reservation, not the number that actually show up, so be please be accurate in your counts.
IMPORTANT NOTICE : Last year we had several Packs abuse the reservation system and sign up for more spaces than they had Scouts. On the day of their reserved workshops only a handful of the registered Scouts would show up. We had to turn away many Scouts last year because we filled up and they could have used these available spots if these Packs had not filled up the spaces they weren't going to use. To prevent this, any Pack found abusing the registration system this year will be banned from future reservations!
Safety in the Shop
- To insure proper supervision of our younger Scouts, we require a 1-to-1 adult/child ratio for Tigers, Wolf & Bear
- For Weblos we require 1 adult for every 2 boys
- Scouts should not wear loose clothing that might get caught in the machines. No long sleeves, no Neckerchiefs.
- Closed toed shoes are required while in the shop area
- Safety glasses must be worn in the shop at all times. (provided by The Sawdust Shop).
- Due to safety reasons we discourage younger children (under 6) from attending the sessions
Schedule and Reservations
To view the schedule and to reserve time for your Den or Pack click here.
If your den can't make it you can still build your car at The Sawdust Shop by tagging-along with
another Den or Pack, just reserve a time on one of the open dates listed on the schedule.
* For Tigers and all children under 8 years old, the parent or Sawdust Shop staff will cut the car on the bandsaw.
For more information, email us or call (408)992-1004 and
ask for Craig.